Pages

Nov 7, 2009

Shallow Water Metal Detecting

Shallow water hunting is one of the most rewarding ways to metal detect.My best friend and Treasure Hunting companion 'Dave Dittler' introduced me to shallow water treasure hunting in the early 90's and from that point on I was hooked! I would rather hunt treasure in the water than anywhere else! Fortunately, for water hunters there is also less trash to dig in the water and far less competition! Depending on location and time of the year shallow water hunters may need just a bathing suit or waders, although I highly recommend a wet suit or even a dry suit for thermal protection as Dave and myself have hunted beaches during snow squalls, even at night. For a serious shallow water hunter a wet suit(at a minimum) is a must! In addition, you will also need a metal detector that is completely waterproof such as the Fisher CZ-20 or the new CZ-21 or Minelabs Excalibur series machines. My first machine was the Fisher Labs CZ-20 and she has never let me down! You will also need a strong long handle scoop! Do NOT skimp on your scoop!!! If your scoop fails on a hunt ...  your S.O.L., and their is a small learning curve with the scoop so get a good one. I've seen many different designs but my personal favorite has a curved handle.

Outside of that you should be all set! I'll get into the use of a 'Brownies Third Lung' in a later discussion. DP

No comments:

Post a Comment