Pages

Nov 29, 2009

French & Indian War- Deerlick Rock, Lewis County NY - Potential Treasure Site?



Supposedly the story goes that a group of French soldiers retreating through the Black River Valley of Upstate New York, cached money(payroll) and personal effects in an area now called Deerlick Rock near Glenfield New York. The soldiers most likely continued down stream on the Black River, never to return.
In the early 1900's a large cache of rusted french weapons were discovered in the area ... just a short distance from Deerlick Rock along with other Colonial and Indian relics!!
It sounds like a pretty safe bet that some careful metal detecting should produce some more relic's in this area. I'm positive this site has more to share!!
I've included a google map of the area in my last post. If you like to join me and my partner 'Treasure Dave' this spring on a recon of this site, just drop me a line ....  dan@treasure-blog.com

7 comments:

  1. Did you ever check out Deerlick Rock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I never got a chance to hit it this summer.
    I spent most of my time in the water ..
    Its definitely worth a visit, I'm sure that their is still artifacts to be found on and around that site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,,, worth bumpin this post up,and glad im not the only one who is searchin for afew clues to this old tale...
    The area is loaded with "Geologic" features that would throw the avg hunter off...Such as Large outcropping's of rock's "especially" on BOTH sides of the river...Im a bit far away to go look "I'M in Saratoga co." and can only research what i can and maybe go once a year,also i don't like to TH alone,especialy in those parts.... I am very interested in this tale and looking for the Document/papers where this tale originated...
    Yes there are lots of "Relic's" about, Try IFR Spatial data ...
    I'll post if anyone is interested still..
    RxP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to check out this site/area if anyone is interested still!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chase, I'm interested but it will have to wait until this coming spring season - Unless we get an extremely mild winter ?

      Delete
    2. K let me know, I can usually free up as needed, we should chat more over email in private and discuss the area and strategy some more!

      Delete
  5. if you are respond to chase7628@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete